Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stay Glossy, DMV

DMV = District-Maryland-Virginia (for the out-of-towners :))
One of the things that attract me to makeup counters/stores is the array of colors displayed on the counters and shelves, especially the lipcolors and lipglosses.  These makeup brands sure know how to market their stuff.  Who doesn't love seeing all the lipcolors, lipglosses, and even the eyeshadows, all lined up "at attention" ready to be bought?  And somehow you think that every color will look good on you.  Ha.

Below are a few lip glosses ranging from the expensive to inexpensive.  So read on and take your pick(s)!

I really like the sheer color shades and the glitter/iridescence effect is not too loud.  It's just right.  This gloss can be worn alone or paired with a lipcolor.  A great summer shade is Sunbaked Coral.  This lipgloss does not have that sticky feel to it.  And when I wear it alone, I don't feel like I have anything on, because the formula is really light.  One awesome feature is the applicator.  It has a wider "brush" (for lack of a better word), so it covers more area with each application for a more even coverage.  Genius!

Don't be scared of this bright pink/purple shade.  Because it's a sheer lipgloss, this particular shade adds just enough "pop!" to your lips.  I like to use this alone or on top of a darker shade of lipstick.  Also like Lancome's, this gloss does not feel sticky.

I really like the cool minty feel and scent when you apply this lip gloss.  Like some mentioned above, this lip gloss gives just enough shine when used alone.

For a drugstore product, this is the one!  I've tried Revlon's Colorstay Lipcolor line; and as much as the color actually stays for a good couple of hours, my lips were left dry at the end of the day.  I love this Maybelline's product because it hydrates my lips and it does stay long!  Last time I checked, it lasted 3 hours until I had to repply just the balm; but the color lasted during the work hours!  You apply the lipcolor and let it set for a minute (until dry), then you apply the lip balm.  You can reapply the balm when needed.
     Ok, this is categorized as lip color and not lip gloss.  I like to think of it as a 2-in-1.  Once you apply the balm, it looks like you just applied lip gloss!

Not my absolute favorites (but they might work for you...)
Sephora Super Shimmer Lip Gloss and MAC Lustreglass Lip Gloss
Although both brands offer so many fun colors, the formula is just too sticky.  Even when I wipe my lips with a napkin, sometimes the napkin sticks to my lips!  Sephora and MAC do have other lines of lip glosses, which I haven't tried yet.


Tips

1.  If you use lip gloss over a lipcolor, I suggest buying one light-colored lip gloss and one dark-colored.  When paired with a lipcolor, a lip gloss either lightens/brightens the lipcolor or darkens/intensifies the lipcolor.  This is also an excuse to test different brands (see above) to figure out which one works best for you!

2.  If you have fuller lips, it's best to minimize the amount you apply.  Too much and your lips might appear swollen than sultry.

3.  If you're not into color, a clear lip gloss is good enough!


4.  If you're using the lip gloss solo, apply a little SPF lip balm before the applying the lip gloss.


Images:
Chanel http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-beauty/Makeup-Lipgloss-GLOSS-FLUO-DE-CHANEL-88791
Lancome http://www.echemist.co.uk/p-lancome-color-fever-gloss
Maybelline http://www.maybelline.com/Product/Lip/LipColor/superstay-lipcolor.htm
Origins http://www.origins.com/templates/products/sp_shaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY5980&PRODUCT_ID=PROD6521

No comments:

Post a Comment