Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Baked Kale Chips

Image: www.barnesandnoble.com

For this week's Potpourri Wednesday, I decided to share a recipe I recently tried - Baked Kale Chips.  You might be wondering, how can kale chips be good?  Oh they are.  Gwyneth Paltrow was on the The Ellen Show sometime last week, and she made some on the show to promote her new cookbook My Father's Daughter.  She kept saying that her kids love them.  I remember when I was a kid, the last thing I wanted to eat was vegetables.  So if her kids enjoy eating them, I think at 27 years old, I can too!

Here's the recipe!  It's so easy!  Did I mention that they're healthy? :)
I have pictures, which I'll post at the end of the day (I'm at work and did not bring my laptop)

Ingredients:
1 bunch of kale (I bought a bag and used 1/3 of it)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt (and any other seasoning) to sprinkle 


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Remove any kale stems and wash thoroughly 
3. Dry kale in a salad spinner or with paper towels
4. Tear kale into smaller pieces, about an 1-2 inches in length
5. In a large bowl, mix dry kale with olive oil and sprinkle salt (at more 2 pinches!  You can easily oversalt them).  Continue mixing.
6. Spread kale out on a baking sheet (might need two sheets)
7. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned

Eat and enjoy!


I'm always looking for healthy foods that don't taste like paper or grass, or else I end up looking for more food to eat.  This is seriously a great healthy snack!  I'm considering serving it as a side dish (with baked chicken, pork, or beef) as an alternative to the typical side of vegetables.  

 

2 comments:

  1. If you bake those at 400 degrees for anything over 5 minutes, you will burn them. I reduced the temperature to 275 degrees, used my favorite seasoning salts and got an excellent result in 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I did shorten the baking time at 400 degrees the second time around. I'll definitely try it at 275, though my family and friends did enjoy them a little extra crispy!

    ReplyDelete